Monday, February 20, 2012

Runner's Corner with Jeff

Marathon Complete

Well, I did it... The Marathon Run is in the history books. What a rewarding accomplishment. I flew out on a Saturday morning arrived midafternoon in time to pick up running packets and visit the run expo. Of course in Vegas everything is big. There were 44,000 runners in town to run so you could imagine the buzz that was in the city. So all of the training is finally over. My body is fueled properly and time for the sneakers to hit the road.

Race morning we headed for Mandalay Bay for the start of the race. We were in Corral B, all the rock and roll bands were playing and when the starter gun went off so did the fireworks and 44,000 runners. The first part of the marathon was done in the dessert district which was less to be desired. I even saw my business competition if I ever decide to go to Vegas and open a branch. At the half way point we were back at Mandalay bay and headed down the Vegas strip. It was amazing the amount of fans cheering us on to the finish. They were the very best ever.

There are times when you think you can't go anymore and you see a sign one of our fans are holding that says “ You know why your feet hurt so bad because you are kicking everyone’s butt!” There is no better feeling than to look up at mille 22 and see the finish line 4.2 miles away and you can't feel your feet, your legs, and your arms are tired, your back hurts, and your hands are freezing oh did I say it was 41 degrees at the finish line. But the 18 weeks of training kept us pushing to the end. There was no better feeling than to enter the finishing line area and know that we made it to the finish!!
Moving forward to 2012 I have already completed the Disney Half Marathon in 2:02, and the Seasons 52 5K in Winter Park. I also finished the St. Pete Half Marathon with my best time ever: 1:59:58... Finally under 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment